Monday, April 9, 2012

Goodwill Jacket Makeover


I can't say how happy I am that Easter is over.  Tom and I worked our tails off trying to get the house situated and ready for the occasion, and glad the hustle is over.  The house looked fab, and it came down to the wire.  Tom got all the white trim in the mudroom hung, and we just needed to hang the cornice box and shade.  The cornice box was previously brown leather which was nice, but of course I wanted a change and went with black.  I hit the local Goodwill looking for a black leather jacket.
These pics are so unflattering, who would wear a jacket like this.

                                                                            SCORE!
The jacket was huge, and only $12.00.  I'm not sure how much real leather at a fabric store would cost, but I bet it would be more than twelve bucks.  We cut the lining out.
Once we got that removed, we cut the material we needed to cover the cornice box, and stapled it on.  Here is how it looks, including the new roman shade and white trim all purchased at Lowe's, or as we call them "blow's".  The leather would probably work well for pillows, seat cushions, the frame around a mirror, the sky is the limit.



Today I decided to paint the garage door that goes into the mudroom.  This is how it looked.
Doesn't it make you want to sing,"I love you, you love me, we're a happy family?"  I decided to paint it with chalkboard paint.  I thought it would be cool to obviously write things on it.  I was thinking maybe our house number, welcome, or take your shoes off.  Here she is now, by the way Tom is at work and doesn't even know I did this, doubt he will miss the purple.

The paint has to cure for a few days before I can write on it, can't wait. I am sure I will cheat on that instruction.
  Easter went fabulous we had cheese fondue which was soooo good for an appetizer along with shrimp cocktail, and deviled eggs.  We had the traditional ham dinner with all the fixins.  The kids decorated some eggs in the morning.  Everyone thought the house looked great which made us happy.
  Did you hear David Bromstad has a new show called the white room coming out on HGTV, can't wait.  I don't know about you all, but I am so over House Hunters show.  I wish they had more decorating shows.  I feel like there needs to be a House Hunters channel.  I can't wait for the new show.

3 comments:

  1. Okay, just reading through your posts and have to comment about House Hunters! I don't mind watching the show - I actually like it, but really - ALL NIGHT LONG??? i just wish they would mix it up a bit. A decorating show, HH, a landscaping show, HH. Whatever, but ALL NIGHT LONG?? I am so done with that. Same with Holmes on Homes - one a night would be fine, just NOT ALL NIGHT LONG!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to watch HGTV all the time but very seldom do anymore. I like to see them decorate for a very low cost but now it is all for people that can spend thousands on having someone come in and do it for them. I am not interested in those people or what they are doing. They don't have any gardening shows now. There just doesn't seem to be any reason to watch anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sue and Tulsa Mom - I could talk about this forever. They do have shows that are done with unlimited budgets it seems. Sometimes design on a dime shows are good, but sometimes they leave me wondering if things are just going to fall apart after they leave. I just want more decor stuff. Holmes on homes is def a guy show. Love Candice Olson, but seems like she is never on. I wish they had a Bang for your Buck with makeovers ten grand and under. That would wow me. Who has fifty thousand dollars for a bathroom makeover. Not me... Oh I could go on and on...

    ReplyDelete

Let Me Know What You Think