Thursday, August 5, 2010

Leather by Heather

I was looking at the entry off the garage and decided I needed something for the top of the window. I'm not a big fan of valances, so I wasn't sure what to do. I thought a cornice box with leather would look cool, but after a few trips to the fabric stores I knew it would be expensive. The other night it came to me, get an old leather jacket and use the leather from that, BINGO. I went to Goodwill about a week ago and saw this old leather trench coat, couldn't of been happier $6.00. Goodwill never disappoints. The next step was getting Tom to go for it, which of course he did. Tom had some wood to frame in some skylights on our porch (future B & F) so he cut it the length we needed for the window. The next step was making the sides to the depth we wanted for the box, decided on 4 inches. Tom screwed the pieces together, then made little blocks that we attached to the end of the 4 inch side pieces, that we would later use to attach to the wall. When the box was finished we cut the material off the coat, after my photo shoot trying it on. I then stapled the material to the box. We hung it up and there she is, we love it.  P.S The jacket is now a blazer style, I just need to hem it.

2 comments:

  1. what an interesting idea, good for you. it looks great!

    thanks so much for stopping by the cape on the corner, and for your comment on my bedroom revamp! btw, love your blog title, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is a great idea, i grew up in a land of flufy froo froo stuffed valances so have avoided for ages.

    But i need a way to hide the curtain rods in our living room (sliding glass door and a window) and that would work really well, and wouldnt leave my guy crying that he doesnt like it. it would fit close to our decore if i found brown or dark burgandy, i could even do that with a greenish trench coat since our furnature is an off green (sounds ugly, but it works in the space and looks great) so now it would just be a matter of making the fabric from whatever i bought do the whole job.
    i just had a great idea, my mom gave me a bunch of dark fake leather material by the yard (since i sew) that would work :D

    ReplyDelete

Let Me Know What You Think